Tuesday 10 May 2016

Shadpadhi Sthothram by Sri Adi Shankaracharya – Lyrics and meanings



|| Jai Sriman Narayana ||












Oh! Supreme Lord Vishnu, I shall earnestly pray to remove the arrogance and ignorance in me, kindly remove my grief and sorrows, keep my mind serene and be in command of my interest in  worldly matters, let my compassion flourish and guide me to cross the ocean of Samsara.   I shall prostrate before Lakshmipathi/consort of Goddess Sri Mahalakshmi, whose lotus feet is a sacred pond of eternal bliss that has supreme fragrance,  and I shall earnestly pray to remove all the perils and fears in my life.  Oh! Nadha, after attaining self realization I have understood the highest of the kowledge that I am not separate from you and you remains unaffected as super soul, just like the waves are the element of ocean and the ocean remains separate from the waves.  Oh! Govardhanodhari/who raised the Mount Govardhana/Uddhruthanaga, Oh! Nagabhidhanuja/brother of Lord Indhra who is the enemy of Mountain, Oh!  Annihilator of demons! Your eyes have the resemblance to Lord Surya and Lord Chandra/Mithrashashi Dhrishte, whoever venerates your lotus feet would be relieved from the sorrows of Samsara. Oh! Parameshwara/Lord of the Universe, who took incarnation as Mathsya and assumed various divine forms for the welfare of the Universe, I shall earnestly pray to protect us from the perils and sorrows of Samsara.  Oh! Dhamodhara/who was tied into mortal pastel by Yasodha, Oh! Gunamandhira/symbol of virtues, Oh! Sundaravadhanaravindha/who is charismatic and attractive face has the appearance of lotus flower, capable to protect his devotees from the ocean of Samsara, I shall earnestly pray to protect us from the fears of Samsara. Oh! Narayana, Oh! Karunamaya/symbol of mercy, I shall surrender to your lotus feet, let the above sacred six hymns dwell in my lotus like face always.



Avinayamapanya Vishno ! Dhamaya Mana: Shamaya Vishaya Rasa Thrishnam |Bhootha Dhayam Vistharaya Tharaya Samsara Sagaratha: ||

Divya Dhuni Makarandhe | Parimala Paribhoga Sacchidhanandhe |Sripathi Padharavindhe  | Bhava Bhaya Ghedhan Cchidhe Vandhe ||

Sathyapi Bhedhapagame | Nadha Thvaham Namamakeenasthvam |Samudhro Hi Tharanga: | Kvachana Samudhro Na Tharanga: ||

Uddhruthanaga ! Nagabhidhanuga ! Dhanujakulamithra ! Mithra Shashi Dhrushte !Dhrishte Bhavathi Prabhavathi | Na Bhavathi Kim Bhavathi Thiraskara: ||

Mathsyadhibhiravatharai | Avatharavathavatha Sadha Vasudham |Parameshwara ! Paripalyo | Bhavatha Bhavapabhithoham ||

Dhamodhara Gunamandhira ! Sundara Vadhanaravindha Govinda |Bhava Jaladhi Madhana Mandhara ! Paramam Dharamapanayathu Nithyam Me ||

Narayana ! Karunamaya ! Sharanam Karavani Thavakou Charanou |Ithi Shadpadhi Madheeye | Vadhana Saroje Sadha Vasathu ||




|| Jai Sriman Narayana ||