Monday 23 July 2018

Sri Vittala Kavacham – Sri Padmapuranam – Lyrics and meanings



|| Jai Sriman Narayana ||












Sri Sutha speaks “ I shall prostrate before supreme Lord Vittala, I shall earnestly pray to Lord Vittala to protect my head, I shall earnestly pray to Mudhgarapriya who is fond of highly fragrant jasmine to protect my cheeks, I shall earnestly pray to Vishnuroopi to protect my eyes, I shall earnestly pray to Vaikundha who resides in the supreme abode Vaikundham to protect to my sense organs, I shall earnestly pray to Munisevya who is worshiped by illustrious Rishis and Sages to protect my face,  I shall earnestly pray to Sureshvara who is the Lord of Lords to protect my line of teeth, I shall earnestly pray to Vidhyadheesha who symbolizes wisdom and knowledge to protect my  tongue, I shall earnestly pray to  Vishveshvaravandhitha who is worshiped by Lord of the Universe/Lord Shiva to protect my neck, I shall earnestly pray to Vyapaka who is all pervading to protect my heart, I shall earnestly pray to  Sukhapradha who is the provider of happiness and wealth to protect my back  of the shoulders, I shall earnestly pray to Nrihari who has assumed the form of Narasimha/half lion and half man to protect my arms, I shall earnestly pray to  Suranayaka who is the commander of deities to protect my hands, I shall earnestly pray to Suradheesha who is the controller of Suras to protect my middle part of the body, I shall earnestly pray to Suralaya who represents abode of Suras to protect my navel, I shall earnestly pray to Suravandhya who is worshiped by deities to protect my waist line, I shall earnestly pray to Kamalasana who is seated on the lotus flower to protect my knees, I shall earnestly pray to Hrishikesha who is the Lord of sense organs to protect my calves and ankles, I shall earnestly pray to Thrivikrama who has personified as dwarf to protect my feet, I shall earnestly pray to Govinda Madhava to protect the entire part of the body, I shall offer humble salutation to Lord Vishnu who represents  the sacred syllables of Akara, he is all pervading, I shall earnestly pray to protect us always, I shall repeatedly prostrate before supreme Lord Vishnu who represents  the sacred syllables of Akara, he eradicates all the accumulated sins of the worshiper, I shall repeatedly prostrate before supreme Lord Vishnu who represents the Pranava, he guides us to cross the ocean of worldly existence, he is eulogized by Dharmashashthras, he has embodied as Universe and resides as soul in living beings, I shall repeatedly prostrate before Lord Vishnu who represents Yakara, he is Moolaprakrithi, he is inseparable from Mahamaya Vaishnavi, he is the source of Universe and its living beings, he is the protector as well, I shall repeatedly prostrate before Lord Vishnu who represents the sacred syllables ‘Vi’ he is the Lord of Vaikundha and he is the provider of abode of Vaikundham to worshiper, he is adorned in garlands of fresh alluring flowers from the  wood, I shall repeatedly prostrate before Lord Vishnu who is the savior from the worldly existence, he is worshiped by the Dhvijas/twice born, after ablation in the sacred rivers,  performing Yajja and daily rites, I shall prostrate before supreme Lord Vishnu who is mounted on the celestial vehicle Garuda along with Goddess Sri Mahalakshmi, I shall prostrate before supreme Lord Vishnu who represents sacred syllables ‘Lakara’, reclines on the serpent Anantha, Goddess Mahalakshmi at his service, he is surrounded by illustrious Rishi Narada and Sages, Oh! Manava/mortal, whoever venerates Lord Vishnu on regular basis would attain the highest of the merit known as nearness to Lord Vishnu, it would eradicate all the accumulated sins, and all the illnesses of the worshiper, above are the sacred verses known as Kshadakshara Sthothram praising the splendor of Lord Vishnu, whoever reads or listens to it would attain the nearness to Lord Vishnu.”


Sutha Uvacha –

Shiro May Vittala Pathu Kapolam Mudhgarapriya | Nethrayor Vishnuroopi Vaikundho Ghranam Yevacha ||

Munisevyo Mukham Pathu Dhanthapankthim Sureshvara | Vidhyadheeshasthu May Jihvam  Kandam Vishveshvara Vandhitha ||

Vyapako Hrudhayam Pathu Skandhau Pathu Sukhapradha | Bhujau May Nruhari Pathu Karau Cha Suranayaka ||

Madhyam Pathu Suradheesha  Nabhim Pathu Suralaya | Suravandhya Kati Pathu Januni Kamalasana ||

Janghe Pathu Hrishikesha  Padhau Pathu Thrivikrama | Nikhilam Cha  Sareeram May Padham Govindha Madhavau ||

Akaro Vyapako Vishnu Rakshathmaka Yevacha | Pavaka Sarva Papanam Akaraya Namo Nama: ||

Tharaka Sarvabhoothanam Dharmashasthreshu Geeyathe | Punathu Vishva Bhuvanam Thu Omkaraya Namo Nama: ||

Moolaprakrithiroopaya  Mahamaya Cha Vaishnavi | Thasya Beejenasamyuktha  Yakaraya Namo Nama: ||

Vaikundhadhipathi Sakshath Vaikundhapadhadhayaka | Vaijayanthi Samyuktho Vikaraya Namo Nama: ||

Snathasarveshu Theertheshu Pootho Yajjadhikarmasu | Pavano Dhvija Pankthinam Thakaraya Namo Nama: ||

Vahanam Garudo Yasya  Bhujanga Shayanam Thadha | Vamabhage  Cha Lakshmishcha  Lakaraya Namo Nama: ||

Naradhadhi Samyuktham Vaishnavam  Paramampadham | Labathe  Manavo Nithyam Vaishnavam Dharmamashritha ||

Vyadhayo  Vilayam Yanthi Poorvakarma Samudhbhava | Bhoothani Cha  Palayanthe  Manthropasaka Dharasanath ||

Itham Kshadakshara Sthothram Yo Japeth Dhayanvitha | Vishno Sayujyamavapnothi Sathyam Sathyam Na Samshaya: ||



|| Jai Sriman Narayana ||