Friday 20 May 2022

Sri Surdas Maharaj – Sri Sur – Vinaya – Pathrika – The significance of the practice of devotion

 


Chapter – 102-  Sur -Vinaya – Pathrika – The significance of the practice of devotion

 

Sri Surdas Maharaj speaks “Oh! Prabho, I have wasted the rarest birth as a human, I did not succeed in the two important things of worldly existence 1) I did not practice devotion or worship of Lord Sri Hari 2) I did not achieve permanent bliss in the worldly matters of fleeting natured. Oh! Prabho, very often my expectations were overthrown, I had to meet unexpected events in life. I was so ignorant, I did not achieve Bakthi/devotion, Gnana/wisdom, or Vairagya/renunciation, hence the happenings in life were strange, unable to understand. Oh! Prabho, I have spent day and night soaked in worldly matters and was chasing after material and physical pleasures, I was drenched in possession, wealth, richness, money, fame, children, wife, companion, relatives, etc. like the Chakora bird that yearningly look at the full moon. The Chakoraroopi mind of mine resembles the darkness of ignorance continued to take pleasure in the infinite material and physical objects, eventually I was thrown into the constant grief and sufferings of three kinds 1) grief from natural calamities, famine, drought, woodfire, earthquake, epidemic, etc. 2) grief from the loss of fame, wealth, money, richness, children, wife, companion, relatives, and 3) finally the grief from aging, illnesses, fear of death, separation from beloved ones, etc./ I was repeatedly shoved into the woodfire like the Thapathrya/ grief of worldly existence. Oh! Prabho, I was wandering aimlessly, but I did not stop taking pleasure in worldly matters, hence, I have abandoned the luster of the moon like the sparkles from your lotus feet which could remove the darkness of ignorance instantly. Oh! Prabho, I have wasted my entire life turned away from your lotus feet, I have lost the opportunity to achieve the fruitfulness of life. Oh! Kripanidhi, you are the source of welfare and eternal bliss, singing in praise of your virtues and reading and listening to your endless glories is ultimate bliss, unfortunately, I did not do it.”


Dhwau Mei Yekau Na Bhayi | Na Hari Bhajjyau Grihasukha Payau Vritha Bihayi Gayi || Dani Huthi Aur Kacchu Man Mei Aurau Aani Dayi | Abigatha Gathi Kacchu Samucchi Paratha Nahi Jo Kacchu Karatha Dhayi || Sutha Sanehi Thiya Sakala Kudumba Mili Nisi Dhin Hoth Khayi | Padha Nakha Chandha Chakora Bimukha Man  Khath Aagar Bhayi || Bishaya Bikara Dhavanala Upaji MohaBathari Layi | Bhramatha Bhramatha Bahupai Dhukha Payau Ajahu Na Tev Gayi || Hoth Kaha Ab Ke  Pacchthaye Bahuth Ber Bithayi | Surdas Seye Na Kripanidhi Jo Sukha Sakala Bhayi ||